Sunday, October 17, 2010

Royal Academy of Arts

I was flying with some friends on this trip to London.




Patti and Julie are probably two of the most adventurous people I know.  They are always out seeing new places and experiencing the local culture and history, wherever in the world they may be.



The two had just returned from a trip to Budapest,
and were eager to see the "Treasures from Budapest"
exhibit at the Royal Academy of Arts.

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/
















The Budapest exhibit was fantastic.  Photography wasn't allowed
or I would have shown you a painting which I found particularly
interesting, with showed a stuffed armadillo on the mantlepiece.
Okay, maybe it's a Texas thing!









I was also interested in the "Sargeant and the Sea" exhibit, which
I enjoyed.  I wasn't familiar with Sargeant's childhood, or much of
his early work, so I received an education in those areas.


While Julie and Patti were traveling, they had
been told about a restaurant in Soho called
Mildred's.  We set out to find it.



Eventually,we did.
http://www.mildreds.co.uk


The place was packed, even at 6 p.m.  We were greeted by the Queen, and our Keith Urban look-alike bartender.




We didn't have reservations, which you obviously need, so we sat in the bar.  The only bad thing I can say about Mildred's is that it is very noisy, which may not be true, if you sit in the dining room.




Our food was delicious.  Patti and Julie ordered different entrees and shared.  Melissa and I ordered the same thing, a sweet potato and cashew nut curry.  I loved it, but Melissa would have liked her's to be spicier.

.


I would like sometime to try the restaurant across the street.

It looked very charming and romantic. There were actually several
restaurants on Lexington Street that would be fun to visit.
http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Restaurant/Andrew_Edmunds/2eb1/


After dinner we returned to Gloucester Road,
and to the beautiful bar at Baileys Hotel, for
an after dinner drink.









A perfect finish to a wonderful trip.
http://www.millenniumhotels.co.uk/millenniumkensington/index.html

No comments: