Monday, December 14, 2009

Another Beautiful Night in Paris


This post is really just sort of an extension of my last post from Paris. Since my camera fiasco on my last trip, I wanted to try for a few more photos.  I had dinner again at Chez Clement, walked along the Champs-Elysees, down Avenue Montaigne, and ended up at Place du Trocadero to view the light show at the Eiffel Tower.  Another Christmas market was set up on both sides of the of the hill leading up to the Palais de Chaillot.
Paris was jam-packed like I have never seen it.  The traffic was horrendous, and tempers were obviously high.  I actually saw several people in the center of the traffic circle at Place de l'Alma, who got out of their cars and were attempting to get traffic moving in some kind of orderly fashion.  I was grateful for the Metro, even though it was as crowded as the streets were.

I managed to get a couple of good photos, but I have decided that I need a better camera. It is always difficult to choose between a really good camera, and one that is lightweight, versatile and able to stand up to the wear and tear of frequent travel. The one I have is fine for perfect conditions, but not for low light, nighttime or time exposures.
Digital cameras just keep getting better, so I think it is time for some comparison shopping.
The photo at the top is along Avenue Montaigne, and the lower right is part of the light show at the Eiffel Tower.
I had intended to take a river cruise up the Seine and back, but the freezing temperature with the wind blowing made it seem like a not so good idea.  The most scenic views from the boats are in the open air on the top, so I will hope for no wind next weekend.
I plan on having a drink next week at L'Avenue......definitely to see, not be seen.  Read a revue here
http://www.qype.co.uk/place/88425-LAvenue-Paris
Or maybe I will have dinner and then write my own revue.  Also plan on visiting the Rue de Rivoli http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_de_Rivoli,_Paris in search of a
good price on a Longchamp bag,  and spending some time in a quaint cafe in St. Germain des Pres. Learn more about this area here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevard_Saint-Germain
My only wish for Christmas is more time and more energy (and maybe that Longchamp bag).

No comments: